Today, I awoke from an afternoon nap to the wonderful smell of cooking. I have no idea what it is, but with many families in the neighborhood preparing the Iftar meal, I'm sure the smell is a mingling of many delicious foods.
Iftar is the meal that Muslims eat just after sundown during Ramadan to break the fast (which lasts each day from sun up to sun down). Many long tables are set up in public places downtown to feed the poor hot meals for Iftar during Ramadan (as it is a time of giving), and large extended families gather together to share the Iftar meal as well. There are wonderful buffets for Iftar at local restaurants, and a large variety of sweets and nuts to choose from in the markets. (Including, according to the Associated Press "Obama Dates").
Ramadan ends this year towards the end of September.
No comments:
Post a Comment