17 August 2009

Eating across Eastern Europe

I have just gotten home to Cairo after a 12 day tour of Eastern Europe where I visited Salzburg & Vienna, Austria; Bratislava and Trencin, Slovakia; and Budapest, Hungary.

I gained a full kilo on the trip.

I'd love to believe this weight gain is directly related to climbing very long, steep hills to castles, like this one in Salzburg. This picture was taken from HALF-WAY UP the hill I had to climb to get there:




Or this castle in Trencin, Slovakia (my favorite of the 4 castles I visited, btw). The first pic is from BELOW the castle, the second pic is from the tallest tower in the castle looking down at the castle wall near the entrance. The hike up the hill, then up the winding, narrow staircases of worn stone took nearly an hour and during the process I discovered an enchanted wood, saw some nuns deeply engaged in a conversation with a ten-year old girl (as if she were the most important emissary of all the world), made a commemorative coin, and ran out of breath.




















Unfortunately, I fear that my weight gain is instead related to the food I ate, which is silly, since I ate SO MUCH SALAD. For example:

Two interpretations on a goat cheese salad. The first, Grilled Goat Cheese on Mixed Greens was a delight on a rainy afternoon in Budapest (which I followed with some Beef Stew and Mashed Potatoes).
















The second I had TWICE it was so good. It was a Mixed Greens Salad with FRESH Goat Cheese Sprinkled with Crushed Pistachios and tossed in a very light vinagrette! NUM! (Which I followed with Juicy Fried Chicken one night and Warm Chocolate Cake another). This was at a restaurant called Immervoll in Vienna that only uses fresh ingredients and regularly changes their menu.

So clearly, these HEALTHY, LOW-FAT salads canceled out the carbs, gelato, schnitzels, struedels, gelatos, and teryiaki bento boxes that I ate on my trip and could not be the source of my weight gain, so it MUST all be muscle. ;)

Next Post: Sziget Music Festival in Budapest where I discovered Balkan Hip-Hop in a Dirndle. Stay tuned!

No comments: