Tonight I met my photography club peeps in the Khan-el-Khalili to attend the Sufi Whirling Dervish performance. This performance is free, and, during Ramadan, apparently extra-special.

The show was amazing! (and I took 500 pictures to prove it!)

The music (all live drumming, zills, flute, etc) carried the Sufis away as they danced. The man pictured above danced in the center of the stage, spinning, for roughly 30 minutes while the drummers played and danced around him. He never stopped spinning the entire time! while his skirt of many colors flew about him. There were layers to the skirts that were removed and held overhead or at floor level in different parts of the dance that created a beautiful kaliedescope on the stage.

I've never seen anything like it. As I'm not very skilled at action shots, and as a girl standing in front of me kept leaning into my shots right as I snapped my camera, I will likely end up tossing about 300 of the 500 photographs I took, (I am posting 3 of my favorites here that needed little editing) but I am very happy with most of them and can't wait to go back to the show as a simple spectator!
No comments:
Post a Comment