27 July 2012

Euphemia Haye

Last night, my best friend, my brother, and I ate at Euphemia Haye on Longboat Key in Sarasota.

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh SO GOOD!

There are two restaurants, one downstairs for 'upscale dining' and a much less formal upstairs called the 'Haye Loft'. We ate upstairs where we could enjoy the live jazz music as we ate our meal.

My brother and I got the Prix Fixe menu. He ordered the chef's pate, the lamb shank, and banana cream pie. That lamb shank was falling off the bone with such perfection as cannot be described adequately in words. He kept offering me bites to show off his entree 'win', but I declined as I could taste it just by smell, and because I couldn't tear myself away from my own entree long enough to take a bite of his.

My progression for the evening went like this: Garlic/Sherry snails and mushrooms swimming in awesome garlic-sherriness that was so good I kept dipping bread into the sauce after I'd eaten all the snails. I did force one of my snails on my brother, who I'm always forcing slimy creatures on (in Rome it was Octopus and who knows what other sea creatures), so I kind of wish there had been just a few more of them in the dish - because you should always have enough to eat your fill and share with members of your party who want to sample a snail. Having only just been introduced to snails myself, I now want the world to know how amazing they are; so a few extra snails on every plate, please, chefs of the world! Let's start an escargot revolution!

Anyway, back to the dinner...

Next I had the restaurant's signature Roasted Duck in a seasonal raspberry walnut sauce that was fruity without becoming too sweet. The partially-boned duck with that great crispy cracklin' on the outside was scrumptious and easy to devour...

Seconds after this picture was taken, all that was left
on the plate was the bone.

Finally, the restaurant has this enormous banquette of desserts to choose from. I went with the restaurant's signature Apple-Walnut pie which was very yummy with an amazing crumble crust. The only disappointment was that while I could see the steam coming off the plate where the ice-cream was dripping on to it, the pie itself was cold all the way through. I kind of like my apple pie to scald my mouth and provide that great contrast to the quickly melting ice cream - which is sort of what the waiter promised but didn't deliver.

Of course, that's didn't stop me from destroying this poor little piece of pie (and my blood sugar).


Finally, E didn't order a main; just an appetizer, side dish, and dessert. The side dish - truffle mash potatoes - was so incredible I abandoned my own entree to enjoy it.  The truffle flavor hit the back of my tongue and erupted into a scent that knocked my senses into sweet sweet bliss. (If she's not careful, I might steal her leftovers from the fridge and gobble them down myself!)

Overall, Euphemia Haye delivered an amazing dinner in a great, simple little restaurant on the key. The perfect note after a long day of sunning and swimming.

No comments: