22 November 2010

Cooperation

Egyptians live in a very cooperative society. At work, there is a cafe for the bus drivers and other Egyptian staff and it is available to all faculty and staff to use, as well. Nowhere I visit every day better exemplifies everything that I love about Egypt.

First, the family that runs the cafe is lovely causing the entire atmosphere of the cafe to be one of a family helping each other out in the kitchen. Today, as I left with my "kibeer maya" (big water), a bus driver was helping cut up bell peppers for tomorrow's fuul at a desk near the door, another driver helped me get my water, and many random people were pitching in with various duties as well; all while the woman who runs the cafe was balancing her adorable little boy on her hip and serving up tamayaa sandwiches.

All this cooperation and teamwork is implied in the culture. You can't even park your car without one or more people trying to help you know when to turn your wheel or how to squeeze in to a space (which can be frustrating when you are a good parallel parker and you can't do it quickly enough because someone is standing behind your bumper "directing" - but at other times can be awfully helpful).

It was hard for someone as independent as I am to adjust, but I'm coming to really appreciate all the help people are willing to offer - especially last week when I sliced my foot open getting out of a taxi, going to a friend's bbq, and needed stitches. Guys hanging out across the street rushed to me with kleenex for the bleeding, fellow teachers helped me get a taxi, the taxi driver flew through traffic and got traffic police to let us go through intersections when we were meant to be stopped, an assistant put me in a wheelchair as soon as we got to the hospital, and a kind taxi driver got us back to the party where the drama started after my stitches were in. After all that, I've never been more glad for everyone being willing to pitch in!

No comments: