Let me begin with the bus. First of all, Gwangju bus terminal was crowded (I departed the day before Chuseok - think Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Harvest all rolled into one) but clean, efficient, and easy to navigate. The bus ride (45,000 wan r/t - about $38USD) on a luxury bus with plenty of leg room, reclining seats, and a television playing Korean dramas and Chuseok specials for everyone on board, would only take three hours, including a stop at one of the fancy travel plazas that are dotted along the major highways in Korea. It was a pleasant, cheap, and easy way to travel from one side of the country to the other.
| These are the shells left over from the seafood hotpot. |
There is also an abundance of street food in Busan (and in Gwangju, too!). The one my friend found too irresistible to just walk by were the little fried dough pockets. The dough was partially cooked, filled with brown sugar, cooked again so the sugar melted, and then opened and filled with shelled sunflower seeds. It was like a stuffed funnel cake and it was delicious!
| Fried, stuffed dough |
![]() |
| This vendor sold fried sweet potato sticks and fried silk worms. I am not ready to eat silkworms...maybe someday when someone gives me a food travel show - but that day has not yet come. |
Because of the holiday, my friend and I were unable to eat at the Jagalchi Fishmarket, but we did peruse the stalls outside (twice, I was enthralled by the variety of seafood on display). The market is adjacent to the dried fish market - dried fish snacks being very popular in Korea. Side Note: I really want to like dried fish snacks - I mean, I love salt, I love seafood, I love snacks - but dried seafood is a taste I can't wrap my tastebuds around.



2 comments:
I can't wait until baby P is old enough to do some international travel! Korea looks lovely!
It's great, and I think an easy flight for you guys, but the best beauty is on the hiking trails, which P may not be ready for yet. . .
Post a Comment