30 June 2015

Chipinque - the last Monterrey Post

Just before leaving Monterrey, my friend and I  decided to revisit Chipinque, a park at the top of the mountains over San Pedro where we had our orientation when we first arrived in Monterrey. Neither of us had been back since orientation - partly because it has rained in Monterrey almost non-stop for two years, partly because it's a steep and fairly scary drive, and partly because I like roller-skating and my friend likes riding bikes, and we could do both at Fundidora, and neither at Chipinque (well, I've seen people mountain biking at Chipinque, and I think they are insane and also must be really really fit to bike uphill on rough terrain).

On a sunny April day, we headed up the mountain. I couldn't figure out how to park 'up top', near the easier trails, so we took a hike on Brecha de Chile -  making it to the 2 km mark before turning around and heading back to the car. The Brecha de Chile is 2.5 km long and uphill the whole way - with over 1000 feet in elevation change from what I can gather from various websites.

The view of Monterrey from Brecha de Chile is amazing, and the hike is a workout. We returned two more times, once again on a sunny day (setting off early, because it gets very very hot on the trail), and once on a very misty/foggy morning, which was eerie and wet and beautiful in a different way.

The hike is best on a clear morning; it's best to start your walk by 7:30 - before the heat and the crowds hit. The park opens at 6 am. Parking is limited and costs 50 pesos.

A view of the valley I lived in

up and up and up

A view of La Silla, the saddle shaped mountain

Mountains continue on to the north

There are a few pretty railings on the trail. The orange
speck at the top is a hiker, which shows how steeply the trail
rises on this turn.

Looks can be deceiving. This is looking down a fairly steep hill.

wildflowers on the trail

Bird Watching

butterfly



No comments: