08 December 2013

Mermaids Playing Guitars

So, I bet you didn't know this (or even want to know this) but Mermaids playing the guitar (and the ukulele) are totally a 'thing' in Mexico.

This is a statue in Tlaquepaque, Guadalajara of a mermaid, playing a guitar, while surfing on the moon:


I've also bought a few Mermaids playing the guitar (all in Merida, in the Yucatan). Here is a ceramic one:


and a tin one:

 

AND a wooden magnet.


One is a fluke, two is interesting, three is A THING (four is just obsession).

Therefore, Mermaids playing guitars are a thing in Mexico (and I have a weird obsession with them).

Other things that are 'a thing' in Mexico:

Biblical-ly Named Tiendas (these are all in tiny villages in the Yucatan):




...and Catrinas.

In a shop-front in Guadalajara

A live-action fortune-telling Catrina in Oaxaca at Easter


My roommate's Catrina cabinet (decorated for the holidays)
There's lots more 'things' - like Cabritos, and Tacos, and Tamales, and Pozole...and that's just for starters (literally, those are all food stuffs!). But for now, these are the things that make me feel most like Mexico is a very special place.

No comments: