The detritus of last night's birthday celebration lingers: mi casa's hangover. Brightly colored flowers in pinks, yellows, oranges, reds, greens, and purples, and the echo of last night's chatter, are draped over every surface; a nice distraction from the mountains of sticky, crumby dishes and dirt-smeared floors.
Contentment and coffee.
It's been a productive hour since I woke (a productivity that MUST persist if I am to get all my grading done today!). I have created a web-page (see tabs at the top of the page) of my favorite restaurants all over the world - with links my original posts on the restaurants if they exist. I am enjoying my second cup of coffee. I moved a single dirty dish closer to the sink. I feel accomplished.
Since the topic came up often last night, I thought this morning is a good time to reflect on last weekend's trip to Merida (beyond the food and the awesome hotel).
Merida seems to be a jumping off point for tourists wanting to visit the archaeological sites in Quintana Roo. While its proximity makes Merida great for pyramid hunters, on its own it is a lovely town to visit - the town has personality and "personality goes a long way."
There are several museums in Merida (all were closed when I went) and great craft shopping. On Saturday, at a little shop called Minaturas, I bought mermaids (a La Sirena-meets-Day of the Dead one, and a chubby angel mermaid), a Day of the Dead photo frame, and some great hand-painted cards. At the Sunday market (every Sunday in the main square) I purchased an AMAZING batik from the artist that made it. The Yucatan textiles were also amazing, but virtually all my money went to the batik, so the textiles will have to wait until my next trip.
Merida has an odd mix of Art Deco and colonial architecture, all painted the sherbet colors you expect of a Mexican town. The grid-patterned streets, flat topography, and healthy police presence make walking around Merida pleasant, easy, and safe - even in the dark hours.
In the Winter / Spring, there is a flamingo migration that winters near Merida that is said to be an amazing sight! There are also many other great restaurants to try, and cooking classes at Los Dos that I am eager to take. Needless to say, I'm already planning my next trip!


No comments:
Post a Comment