11 May 2012

Something I'd Like to Remember

Every morning at 7am, a man with a donkey cart walks down my shady, suburban street shouting "fuUL." His flat, rickety cart has a large silver urn perched on it, secured by a pile of orange blankets that also, I assume, keep the urn warm.

In the urn is fuul - an Egyptian bean dish that is the working man's lunch. It's similar to a refried bean and is served with lots of bread - sometimes in a small tin dish that is rinsed and reused, sometimes in a pocket of baladi bread (like a pita). It can be garnished with hot sauce, oil, spices, boiled egg, herbs... I used to like it in my 'chips sandwich' (french fries in a pita pocket - I kid you not) or with my tamaayya (falafel). 

The 7 am donkey cart man in my neighborhood just has the fuul and some bread and a very tired donkey. 

No comments: