02 January 2011

Scotland

Driving up the coast of Scotland, even in mid-winter, is breathtaking. Despite recent snows, much of the coast was still a brilliant green - dotted here and there with dramatic hills and sheep(!). There were historic cottages, and amazing views of the sea and I can't imagine approaching the city any other way.



Edinburgh was a delight for someone like me who is awed by stone architecture. The castle, built on volcanic rock (I had no idea!), was beautiful and sprawling, representing many different periods and styles of conquerors and monarchs. Underground, I visited a paved-over close (alleyway), and overground I had one of the best meals of my life at The Witchery, just below the castle (brown Mull Crab and Fennel salad, venison with meaty portabello mushrooms and potatoes au gratin, and an assortment of amazing desserts). I ate haggis, neeps and tats at at least two establishments, and felt old old old at the Princes Street Gardens Hogmanay concert - though probably had the best view of the fireworks in all of Ediburgh (on an isolated bench at the base of the hill from the castle, so sheltered that there was only a crowd of 10 people in a huge area, despite the gardens being surrounded by 80,000 spectators on the streets above us!)

The only challenge of Hogmanay (other than staying up past 10pm - yes, I'm getting old) was the obscene amount of people literally falling ON me (or, at one point, SITTING ON ME). Still though, an outdoor concert, not too cold, hot mulled wine for 5 pounds a pop, and the best fireworks display ever made me glad I went.

Next year, though, I think my New Year's Eve destination is going to have to be a bit warmer! :)

No comments: