So far, the summer travel itinerary has included: Vernazza, Milan, Pisa, and Florence Italy; Baltimore, MD; Washington, DC; and New York, NY...not to mention a brief stop in Cairo.
The highlight of my recent trip to New York was seeing La Cage Aux Folles on Broadway. I've never seen a show on Broadway where all the stars showed up to play their roles (in this case Kelsey Grammar and Douglas Hodge). Douglas Hodge, who played Albert, won the Tony and it was easy to see why - the show was so much fun (and the audience was so involved) that I didn't want to leave the theatre.
Beside the dash-of-drag on my trip, the food was amazing. I went again to Perilla and had some incredible skate wing that was perfectly cooked. I went to Craftbar and had some great pork. But the culinary gem on this trip was an accidental find - a tapas restaurant called Casa Mono on Irving Place near Union Square.
I present you my lunch:
First, Quail with figs..

I've come to love quail since moving to Egypt where it is on the menu of my favorite restaurant Abu El Sid. This quail was meaty, perfectly cooked, and the figs were amazing along side.
Next, the croquettes of pumpkin and goat cheese.
I don't usually like pumpkin, but the herbed goat cheese in the middle and delicate fried casing of the creamy creamy pumpkin was so good I ordered it two days in a row.That's right - the food was so good, I went back again the next day to try more tapas! (Lobster salad, skirt steak over a cous-cous salsa, goat, fideos with clams and chorizo, and the Spanish take on creme brulee).
There was so much *good* food that my visitor and I couldn't eat a big meal again for days!
Fortunately, NYC and DC have provided lots of walking opportunities to work off all of the deep fried, grilled, poached, braised, broiled, and boiled goodness!
Next stop: Florida!
No comments:
Post a Comment