01 April 2010

Bangkok in Brief


I was only in Bangkok a few short days that were mostly concerned with attending an absolutely FANTASTIC education conference. Still, there was time on the schedule to get away and explore a bit.


In brief, I can say I loved Thailand. First of all, there is food EVERYWHERE. Street vendors sell things I could not describe (or identify) as well as delicious looking dumplings, fried pork products, fresh juices, chicken, noodles, soups, and all manner of sugary good things. I had crab cakes (with ham in them!) that were baked into crab shells and tempura fried. I had stir-fried duck in holy basil and chili (twice!).


Bacon. Wrapped. Banana.

There - see - you get the gist.




It is also a very beautiful, clean, orderly city. The temples at the Grand Palace had mosaic-style turrets seemingly from fairy-tale lands. The people of Bangkok were kind, quiet, and gentle spirits (even the protests were peaceful).






Best of all, though, Bangkok was quirky. A hoola-hooping elephant for your next party? They've got it. A thai-Elvis? Got it. Unique gifts - got it in droves (esp for a lucky few of you!). Flea Markets? Oh heck yeah! Basically, Bangkok is a place I can see myself living and thriving - if living and thriving with indigestion from the incredibly spicy fare.

No comments: