24 October 2009

some quotes

Just started Nomad's Hotel by Cees Nooteboom, it's sort of a cerebral travel journal and I like it so far...all 15 pages or so that I've read so far.

Two quotes have resonated with me that I'd like to share. The first comes from the book's introduction, written by one Alberto Manguel "For all true travelers know that the reality of the world distracts from the reality of the world."

Doesn't it tho?

The second comes from Mr. Nooteboom himself, "...anyone who is constantly traveling is always somewhere else, and therefore always absent."

This is one I really, really have felt the last few months. Always absent, always somewhere else - for me it reflects both the excitement and sometime loneliness that comes from constant traveling (i.e. being away).

What is it with me and Dutch Travel Writers? (my favorite is J. Maarten Troost - both for his humor and for inspiring me to be a bit more adventurous in my choice of home-country)

Ah, reflective travelers; how I love to be among their ranks!

No comments: