The bars, busses, facebook devotees, and classrooms of Cairo (at least the ones I was in) were all a twitter yesterday discussing Obama's speech - and I'm sure they will be for some time.
This is in no way a political blog and will not be blogging about my reactions to the speech or the reactions of my Egyptian, British, American, and Canadian friends. This is a travel blog, a blog about what it's like to live and work in a part of the world so different from Baltimore Metro Area where I grew up.
In that spirit, then, I do want to share this brief quote:
"All of us share this world for but a brief moment in time. The question is whether we spend that time focused on what pushes us apart, or whether we commit ourselves to an effort — a sustained effort — to find common ground, to focus on the future we seek for our children, and to respect the dignity of all human beings." - President Obama, Cairo, 6-4-09
Also, let me mention that I will be trying to get my hands on some of those "Obama/Tutankhamun" tee shirts I saw all over the American media as a really cool souvenier of the times.
No comments:
Post a Comment