Being that I'm an English Teacher, I figure it's been a while since I did a post about what's been good on the bookshelf. Fortunately, I've had time to catch-up on reading since Christmas and here's what I have:
Current: The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak: I've only just begun this novel, but it is an interesting portrait of East-meets-West.
Anil's Ghost by Michael Ondaatje: This was a creepy novel about government corruption during the civil war in Sri Lanka. Eastern ideas vs Western Ideas in a woman returning to her homeland after living in America. A mixture of themes of homecoming, mystery, suspense, and tragedy. Very good, interesting read - though a bit sad for my vacation reading.
Married to a Bedouin by Marguerite van Geldermalsen: a non-fiction auto-biographical account of a Kiwi woman who marries into the Bedouin of Petra in Jordan. Really fascinating and something I could definitely relate to as a Western woman trying to find her way in a new land with a new language and different culture.
Stalking the Wild Dik-Dik by Marie Javins: A single girl takes off alone on a round-the-world over-land journey. This book is the autobiographical account of her trip overland from South Africa to Cairo. Very interesting, a new and different perspective on places I will never go and inspiration to travel to Zanzibar sometime soon.
That's it - any recommendations for what to read next?
No comments:
Post a Comment